NIKON RELEASES A DEDICATED 3D LUT FOR N-LOG AND ANNOUNCES THE SUPPORT OF RAW VIDEO OUTPUT FOR THE NIKON Z 7 AND Z 6
London, United Kingdom, 27th August 2019: Nikon today introduces a dedicated LUT (lookup table) for N-Log videography, a new feature for the Nikon Z 7 and Z 6 cameras. A new firmware update will also be released later this year for the Z 7 and Z 6 cameras that will support RAW video output straight from the camera. This firmware will enable recording in Apple’s versatile ProRes RAW video format on the Ninja V 4K HDR monitor/recorder made by ATOMOS, Nikon’s collaborator in developing RAW video output technology.
With this firmware release, the Nikon Z 7 and Z 6 will be the first consumer cameras to officially support RAW video output, currently only available in professional cinema cameras. RAW video files provide the richest information, just as RAW data does for still images. By bringing even more flexibility to post-production colour grading, RAW video output support firmly places Nikon mirrorless cameras in the same realm as professional cinema cameras, making them an affordable choice for full-scale movie production.
The dedicated LUT for Nikon’s N-Log is compatible with the Rec. 709 colour space. It is also a 3D LUT, enabling adjustment of brightness, saturation and hue, in addition to RGB colours. A LUT is preset data of RGB colour values, used to transform the appearance of video footage in post-production colour grading. The Z 7 and Z 6’s N-Log HDMI output recording is optimised for 10-bit recording, bringing out the image sensor’s full dynamic range. It records rich gradation information in highlights and shadows to allow for more flexible colour grading.
The LUT will be available for download, free of charge, from the Nikon Z 6 and Z 7 pages on Nikon's Download
An internal setting on the camera must be revised during a service at an authorised Nikon Service Centre prior to downloading the firmware update, to allow RAW video output to be enabled. This service will attract local charges.
- NIKON DEVELOPS NEW HIGH-POWER Z SERIES ZOOM LENS
- NIKON ANNOUNCES THE NIKON Z fc MIRRORLESS CAMERA
- Nikon, CIWEM, WaterBear and ARUP Announce Judges for Environmental Photographer of the Year 2021 Competition
- NIKON ANNOUNCES NX FIELD – A NEW REMOTE SHOOTING SYSTEM FOR PROFESSIONALS
- Nikon to expand its Z mount lens range with the development of the NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 and NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2
- Reveal the beauty you see with the first Z series macro lenses
- Nine Nikon products receive the ‘Red Dot Award: Product Design 2021’
- Nikon announces new organisational structure for European Imaging Products and Healthcare businesses
- NIKON JOINS CIWEM & WATERBEAR TO LAUNCH ENVIRONMENTAL PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR COMPETITION
- NIKON ANNOUNCES DEVELOPMENT OF THE FLAGSHIP Z 9 FULL-FRAME MIRRORLESS CAMERA